What if you could see the rock under the surface as you drill, and could tell the difference between waste and resource? Sounds like something out of the future, but this week we learn more about this technology that’s right here, right now and what it means for the mining industry.
Each Wednesday join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
This week we talk to Tamer Eid, President of Australia and Asia for DataCloud. Tamer’s background is in engineering has been all over the globe in his 18-year career, journeying from the oil and gas industry to the mining industry.
DataCloud helps the mining and resources industry improve their processes and productivity by providing real-time orebody knowledge while drilling blast holes. DataCloud is based in Seattle and was founded in 2016.
This is done through equipment sensors and software which puts real insights in the hands of site teams. This technology is a first-of-its-kind and gives mining operations a new way to look at extracting resources.
We go on to chat about the DataCloud team and how they bring together global experience from the resource industries and technology sectors, as well as have a closer look at the developments shaping modern mining and what Tamer sees as the way forward.
We also discussed:
- What DataCloud does and how it’s become a game changer for operations.
- Tamer’s backstory and his journey into the mining industry.
- Comparing technologies between the oil and gas industry and the mining industry.
- The DataCloud team and how Tamer got onboard.
- A deep dive into real-time geoscience.
- How DataCloud converts data into geological information.
- How they deal with site connectivity for remote mine sites.
- The flexibility of the platform and the different insights you can gather.
- Progress in the mining industry and the shifts Tamer is seeing.
- Internet of Things (IOT) technology and it’s growing importance in the mining industry.