Data is a key part of any successful modern mining operation, but the meaning behind it is what adds value. This week we chat to Kim Eales about how he is using technology to do more to look after operators.
Each Wednesday join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
Kim Eales is a founding member of Resolution Systems and Principal Mining Integration for MaxMine. He has 10 years’ experience in the mining sector, journeying from an operations leader in Rio Tinto to implementing Resolution Systems flagship product, MaxMine. We caught up with him at the Austmine 2019 conference earlier this year to hear about where he’s at, and new happenings in the world of data.
MaxMine is a new technology that helps site teams identify improvements and productivity increases in surface mining haul fleets. We dive into what this means, how MaxMine was developed, as well as how amazingly in-depth the insights can be. Find out how Kim keeps operations at full production (no pun intended) all over the world using big data.
We also discussed:
- Kim’s backstory and what it was like growing up.
- Where Kim is headed now and his career journey, getting his start in human resources and how he came into the mining industry.
- What drives Kim in his professional life.
- How to find out more about yourself and your “why”.
- What makes the biggest impact on any mining operation?
- The importance of speaking up on-site and having good working relationships.
- Your personal life and working in the mining industry – and tough lessons learned.
- A deep dive into big data and the development of MaxMine.
- The number game vs. the human side of mining.